10 – 12 minutes
For a cake to serve 6 – 8
140g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
100g plain flour, sifted
40g ground almonds
caster sugar to dust
50ml double cream
30g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
200g Strawberries, roughly chopped and slightly mashed, plus extra to decorate and
1.Grease and line a swiss role tin, 35cm x 25cm, with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to
2. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla paste with an electric mixer until pale, thick and creamy.
The mixture should have doubled in size and leave a trail when the beaters are removed.
3. Fold in the flour and ground almonds, using a large metal spoon. Careful not to knock out the
4. Pour into the lined swiss role tin and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until golden and springy to the
5. Once removed from the oven turn out on to a sheet of baking parchment, dusted with caster
sugar. Gently peel off the top layer of baking parchment.Tightly role up the swiss role from the
short end and leave to cool, seam-side down.
6. Beat the mascarpone, cream and icing sugar together. Fold in the crushed strawberries.
7. Gently unroll the swiss role and spread with the strawberry cream mixture. Gently roll back up
and dust with icing sugar, arranging the strawberries on the top. Serve with extra strawberries.