We just wanted to give you a quick update on how we’re getting on here at GGC in these new and challenging times, giving you an insight into the great produce spring has in store for us all. On the 23rdMarch we all went into lockdown, it was decided that our stalls would close and like many companies up and down the country we became a totally delivery-based service. Despite always having a strong delivery service moving the whole business to this format has been a challenge but one that we have relished.
So what is currently going on behind the scenes at GGC? Well like everyone we now practice all the safety procedures that have become part of our everyday lives. Social distancing, regular hand washing, wearing gloves, disinfecting all equipment, and delivering to all our customers at a safe distance have all become part of our practices to keep us and our customers safe. We’re now a wholly web-based company, watch out amazon, the website has seen a huge increase in usage and has dealt with it superbly (thank goodness for the recent upgrade). Hopefully, this is working well for all of our customers but please let us know if you are having any difficulties. In terms of being able to get hold of produce this has, as we all know, become more challenging than in normal times. For us to get hold of the high quality produce our customers love the main man, Andy, has been up as early as 11pm the day before to head out and secure everything we need. So as you’re finishing off that last episode of whatever Netflix series you are watching during lockdown, Andy is out rooting around New Spitalfields Market looking for the highest quality fruit and veg.
Despite us all being in lockdown, nature and the seasons continue to roll on and spring is very much in full swing, this means some exciting produce is coming into season;
- British salads; English cucumbers (usually naked aka not wrapped in plastic), gem lettuce, radishes (that pack a punch) and spring onions are all now flowing into the market and with a bit more sun these will be followed by a variety of English lettuce.
- Talking of best of British, Asparagus and Jersey Royal potatoes are now readily available and beginning to reach their peak season. Two very seasonal products that we need to make the most of and really are delicious…it’s the little things in life at the moment.
- European Berry’s are currently very tasty, and the Belgium strawberry’s that people will have seen arriving in their orders recently really are superb, second only to British strawberry’s.
- Dare we say that 2-3weeks time we will start to see the arrival of European soft fruit (peaches, apricots, nectarines) but we will keep you updated on this.
- We now say goodbye to the produce more associated to the colder months, such as British root veg and these are to be replaced with British greens such as broccoli, spring cabbage and beans. Although green veg seems to have been a product widely sought out during this crisis, we have managed to keep a good supply of it.
- On the fruit side, the Spanish Navel Oranges we have enjoyed from January onwards are now finishing as are the British apples. These will be replaced by products from the southern hemisphere which are always of good quality.
Hopefully we’ve given you a little insight into what is going on here at GGC and what we and you the customers have to look forward to for the rest of spring. We would just like to thank our customers old and new for their support, it really means a lot and hopefully we are repaying you guys with fabulous produce and service.
Stay safe and stay positive,
Facebook: @GGchoice (Greengrocers Choice)